Following public consultation in 1897 to consider what steps the Parish should take to commemorate the sixtieth year of reign of Queen Victoria, it was resolved that as a perpetual memorial thereof, a public recreation ground should be provided for the town of Newent.
Land was acquired for such purpose in Watery Lane Newent and Newent Recreation Ground was formed, held in Trust by the Parish Council for its future care and maintenance.
The Town Council – as its now known today, continues to manage the Recreation Ground on behalf of the town’s inhabitants and encourages its use as a public amenity area for all to enjoy.
Sporting activities over the years have been very popular and currently the Recreation Ground is home to a thriving and well followed Rugby Club.
The Recreation Ground has a fully enclosed children’s Play area with facilities for children under the age of 16 and also a Youth Shelter for teenagers.
The Recreation Ground’s use is varied and a great amenity for its townsfolk, whether a player, spectator or a child just wanting to play on the swings. The Council has further protected the future of the Recreation Ground in recent years by registering the land under a Deed of Dedication with the “Fields in Trust.”